Do you want to hide Wireless Network from your neighbors?
Hiding your wireless network name (or SSID) is the best idea to add an extra layer of security. Whatever reason may be you don’t want strangers or neighbors connect to your Wifi network.
By default, all wireless router are openly broadcast the SSID and which helps hackers to break the security and connect to your network. However, you should know that a hacker can also attack hidden wifi networks just as easily as a network where SSID is broadcast.
Does Hiding Wireless Network Ensure Security To The Network?
The short answer is No, because you can find some applications on play store which scan and find a hidden wifi network in a few seconds. So by disabling the broadcast of your network does not turn off SSID and easily reveal by scanner tools.
Let’s come to the main topic and you still want to hide your network? That’s cool. Here is step by step guide on how to hide the Wifi network name in a router.
- The first step to connect your computer or laptop to wifi network.
- Open a wifi configuration page using gateway IP address. You can find it on the back side of your wifi router or modem.
- Type gateway IP address of your router in the address bar of browser and hit enter. In my case gateway IP address is 192.168.2.1
Note: Some routers have different gateway IP address. Common addresses are “192.168.1.1”, “192.168.2.1” and “192.168.0.1”.
- Router login page will be open and it asks you to enter username and password. If you never change your router password then you can use default credential find it on a back side of your router. The default username is “admin” and password is “1234”.
- Once you logged into your router this will bring you to router dashboard page and Go to the wireless section of the configuration page.
- Under wireless network section, you can find “Enable SSID Broadcast” option. By default, this option is checked. If you want to hide SSID then uncheck this option and click on Save button.
- That’s it you successfully hide your wifi network name.
But wait after saving the settings you will be disconnected from wifi and the big question Is how to find and connect hidden wifi network.
Don’t worry just follow below steps to connect to hidden wifi network.
- First, select WiFi icon available at the right side of the bar and here you can find hidden wifi network option.
- Simply click the connect to hidden network button and don’t forget to click on connect automatically option.
- Now it asks to enter the name (SSID) of the hidden wifi network and click on next button.
- Enter the password of your (or network security key) for connect to a network and click on next button.
- Windows try to connect to the hidden wifi network. After connected you are asked to whether you want to allow PC to be discoverable by other PCs and device on the same network? You can choose any yes or no depending on you.
In some case windows not able to connect to hidden network. So you need to manually connect to wireless network.
- Open start menu and click on settings gear icon.
- Navigate to Network & Internet and select WiFi option at right hand side and select manage known networks.
- Now click on Add a new connect or network option.
- Enter the network name, security type, encryption type and security key. Don’t forget to check to start this connection automatically and click on next button.
- That’s it your hidden wifi connected successfully to a computer.
- Open settings and go to Wi-Fi or WLAN option.
- Turn on wifi and click on Add Wi-Fi network option.
- Enter the network name, security type and password.
- Once done click on save or ok button to add a new network.
- That’s it your android device will be automatically connected to hidden wifi.