How Microsoft spying on us with it’s latest Windows 10 operating system? How we can make our windows 10 as private as possible?
Microsoft Windows 10 is popular around the globe for several reasons such as criticism on some of its features that violate your privacy. Cortana in Windows 10 is everything knows about you because it seeks too much personal information about you like other personal assistants.
That’s not all windows has some new features like edge browser, multi-desktop environment and telemetry features that share your personal information with other people.
The biggest privacy issue with Windows 10 is the system has been made to run on desktop and the cloud as well to exchange data regularly. That means the windows version is both cloud OS and desktop.
If cloud OS functionality of windows is enabled on your system, you will be sharing your data with Microsoft and your information may no longer be safe.
So if you are worried about windows 10 privacy, we are sharing various tips and tricks to help you to ensure your data’s protection, claim back your privacy and easily control your personal data yourself in Windows 10.
There are many third party software available in the market to do this job for you, but personally, I don’t recommend because most of them eventually share or sell your data with third parties.
Method 1: Don’t Use The Express Settings
If you are planning to buy a new PC with Windows 10 already installed, keep in mind don’t go with the Windows 10 default express settings option when you do your initial setup.
Instead, select the Custom Settings during setup of Windows 10, so you can take charge of locking down your privacy from the get-go.
After successfully installation of Windows 10 operating system it will ask you to customize your windows experience and will be offered Customize and Use Express Settings option. Simply click on Customize option and turn off every setting offered by the Microsoft.
In the next step it also asked you to connect your existing Microsoft account or create a new account, don’t go for it – Click on skip the step to create a local account.
Method 2: For Already Installed System
If you are already installed Windows 10 then you don’t need to reinstall in order to customize the privacy settings. You just have to turn off a couple of settings to achieve the same privacy result.
- First, open the windows Settings by pressing Windows + I and select the privacy option.
- Turn off all privacy options available in the General tab.
- Next, click on the Location tab and turn off the location by clicking the change button.
Method 3: Turn Off Advertisements
As you know windows 10 is like Android and iOS that shows advertisements on a web page as well as apps.
If you go with the Express Settings when you installed Windows 10. The system is definitely mining your personal data and tracking your every moment for everything it is worth. Your information will be supplied to advertisers and to show targeted ads online and within windows itself.
Windows 10 does this with the use of an Advertising ID. If ad tracking id is enabled, the windows generate a unique advertising ID for you and it will gather information about you when you browse the web and when you use windows 10 apps.
You can also turn off the advertising ID if you want. Here’s how:
- First, click on the Start button and go to Settings > Privacy > General to open change privacy options screen.
- Now toggle off the first option is “Let apps use my advertising ID for experience across apps”.
- By turning off this option you will still get ads delivered to you but they will be random ads rather than targeted, so your information and interest won’t be tracked.
Method 4: Opt Out Of Personalized Ads
If you want to stop tracking of your web usages and other data in a web browser, simply follow below steps.
- First, open this link: http://choice.microsoft.com/en-us/opt-out
- Log in to your Microsoft account using email id and password.
- Now toggle off the two options such as “See ads that interest you” and “See personalized ads in your browser”.
Method 5: Disable Cortana
As we all know Cortana is very useful and more powerful feature in Windows 10 but it also steals your data to provide excellent suggestions and proper search results. To turn off Cortana follow below steps.
- First, open Cortana and click on Settings gear icon.
- Now toggle off all the options in settings like Hey Cortana (Under Talk to Cortana), My device history and My search history (Under Permissions & History).
Note: Once you turn off this feature you won’t be able to enjoy the Cortana smart features.
Method 6: Manage What Cortana Knows About You
By turning off Cortana doesn’t delete the stored information in the cloud. You manually need to remove the save data. You can easily do it by going through these steps.
- First, open Cortana and click on Settings gear icon.
- Click on “Permissions and history” tab.
- Scroll down to the end and click on the clear my device history button.
- Now click on the “Manage the information Cortana can access from this device” option and toggle off all options.
Method 7: Disable OneDrive Sync
The OneDrive cloud storage comes pre-loaded in Windows 10 that used to store and share a file from your system. But there is a chance to steal your personal information. If One Drive is not your primary cloud storage then it’s better to turn it off.
- In the system tray, Simply click the upward arrow at the right side of the taskbar.
- Click on Settings option by right click on the OneDrive app icon.
- Now uncheck both options and click on Ok to save the settings.
Method 8: Disable Smart Screen Filters
The smart screen filters block the malicious sites and downloads by analyzing them but during the analyzing process, your data will reach the third party company’s server. I know it’s very important to protect against virus and threats but if you still want to disable this feature follow these steps.
- Open control panel and go to System and Security > Security and Maintenance.
- Click on the Change Windows Smart Screen Settings from the left panel.
- Select the second radio option (Don’t do anything) and click on ok button.
Method 9: Configure The Microsoft Edge
The Microsoft edge browser comes with inbuilt data gathering options such as logging keystrokes, scanning typed URLs and much more. This feature helps you to enhance your browsing experience but it also collects your information.
If the edge is not your primary browser then you must need to turn off such features. Follow below steps to disable such features.
- First open Edge browser and click on a three-dot button at top right corner.
- Go to settings and click on view advanced settings option.
- Now toggle off the “Use Adobe Flash Player” option.
- Under the privacy and services toggle off all options.
Method 10: Disable Wi-Fi Sense
The Wi-Fi sense feature is used to share network passwords with peers and friends. But unfortunately, the password sharing feature is no longer available and now it’s only used to suggest the open Wi-Fi connection using the crowdsourced information. Toy disable the Wi-Fi sense feature follow these steps:
- Open the Settings window and go to Network & Internet > Wi-Fi.
- Turn off the “Connect to suggested open hotspot” option under the Wi-Fi Sense.